Change Language

Diplomatic Visa

Diplomatic/Official Visa

Issuance of Diplomatic/Official Visas to foreign diplomats/officials and their dependent family members

All foreigners holding diplomatic/official/service passports, in order to obtain a diplomatic or official visa, are required to submit visa applications online. Physical visa application forms are not accepted. A message is sent via email or SMS when the visa is granted. The visa is thereafter collected in person from the CPV Division.

Other services that are rendered through this online portal are:
  • Extension of diplomatic/official visas
  • Conversion to diplomatic/official visas
  • Transfer of diplomatic/official Visa
Applicants are advised to apply at least 3 weeks before the expiry of their visas or visa free period.

Diplomats and other foreign government officials traveling to the United States to engage solely in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government must obtain A-1 or A-2 visas prior to entering the United States. They cannot travel using visitor visas or under the Visa Waiver Program. With the exception of a Head of State or Government -- who qualifies for an A visa regardless of the purpose of travel -- your position within your country’s government and your purpose of travel determine whether you need an A-1 or A-2 visa. Immediate family members of diplomats and government officials receive A-1 or A-2 visas, with few exceptions. Personal employees, attendants, or domestic workers for diplomats and government officials (holding a valid A-1 or A-2 visa) may be issued A-3 visas.

To qualify for an A-1 or A-2 visa, you must be traveling to the United States on behalf of your national government to engage solely in official activities for that government. The specific duties or services that will be performed must be governmental in character or nature, as determined by the U.S. Department of State, in accordance with U.S. immigration laws. Government officials traveling to the United States to perform non-governmental functions of a commercial nature, or traveling as tourists, require the appropriate visas and do not qualify for A visas. The fact that there may be government interest or control in a given organization is not in itself the defining factor in determining if you qualify for an A visa.

Send a Message

We'd love to hear from you, please drop us a line if you've any query.